Pongolapoort Dam Game Reserve holiday
– the perfect Winter Getaway
Needing a winter getaway, away from the hustle and bustle of the city? A visit to The Royal Jozini Game reserve on the edge of the Pongolapoort dam might be just the break you are looking for! We are on the slopes of the Lebombo mountains, in the Kingdom of eSwatini (previously Swaziland). The great thing about the Game Reserve is that it is close to the eSwatini/South African border, and no visas are necessary to enter.
A long weekend away in one of the Game Reserve’s private homes comes with daily domestic help, TV (in some lodge homes), but also silence – depending on how you feel. (Except the bush is not very quiet with all the birdsong!)
What to do on your Pongolapoort winter getaway:
- Tiger fishing in the Pongolapoort dam / Lake Jozini is available on a catch and release basis.
- Self drive game drives
- Sunset cocktails with a view of the sun going down – magnificent views and sunsets from the Lebombo mountains
- Small boat cruise on the Pongolapoort dam
- Birding – the Pongolapoort area is rich with bird life as there is the lake and wetlands for the water birds, as well as the mountains and flatter bushveld in the game reserve.
- Hippo sightings, croc sightings in / on the banks of the Pongolapoort dam
Why choose Pongolapoort dam area as a winter getaway?
- We are warmer than the highveld regions of South Africa.
- We are a reasonable driving distance from Johannesburg, Pretoria, and the lowveld, as well as Durban. (MAP)
- The border can be relatively stress free and there are rarely long queues – so crossing the border takes just a few minutes.
- The area is malaria free.
- Great game sightings during winter
- Exceptional scenery
- Pristine wilderness
What to take with on your winter getaway?
- Light weight clothes for the day time but the nights might be chilly during winter. So take “layers” – a sweater or jacket to pop on when the sun goes down and there is a chill in the air – and winter jammies for night time, too.
- Walking shoes – you can walk along the roadways inside the nature reserve section.
- If you plan to go on a boat cruise, a dri-mac/windbreaker
- Sun hat
- Woolly hat
- Picnic basket
Whether you are tired or needing inspiration, a winter getaway at Royal Jozini Private Game Reserve, on the eSwatini side of Pongolapoort Dam, is a great way to relax. Burnout has recently become an official diagnosis recognised by the WHO, and a known remedy is to rest, laugh and remove oneself from every day stresses. So go with friends or family, make time to sit around a boma fire and tell stories, relax and remember – because perhaps you have forgotten that you are part of nature and belong with it.
Contact us for accommodation